University Recreation’s mission is to inspire a culture of wellness by providing quality, innovative and inclusive collegiate recreation programs, services and facilities that promote healthy, active lifestyles to enhance student success. University Recreation is proud to be a leader of wellness at NC State and has built a multifaceted approach to inspire and engage the entire Wolfpack community in healthy, activity living.
- Group Fitness provides more than 100 classes every week designed for every fitness level. Challenge yourself by taking a cycling, TRX®, yoga, BODYPUMP™, Zumba® or other fitness class formats to experience firsthand how we make fitness fun.
- For a more personalized experience, one of our nationally certified Personal Trainers can teach you how to exercise, improve performance or lose weight. Take the structured workout to the next level with Small Group Training where our coaches lead workshops on Olympic lifting, boxing and more.
- Our Wellness Outreach staff offer health education programs for students and university groups. Learn stress management techniques, strategies to stay active at NC State and lifestyle modification tips from our team of experts. Sessions can be facilitated in Carmichael, residence halls, offices or other areas to meet the specific needs of a group.
- Intramural Sports are perfect for those who are looking to compete against fellow NC State students in a variety of team sports, tournaments and special events such as flag football, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball and some nontraditional sports like pool battleship and cricket.
- If you want a more competitive sports experience, check out one of our Club Sports teams that include but not limited to rugby, lacrosse, bass fishing, rowing and triathlon. These student-led organizations practice regularly and compete against other colleges and universities at local, state and national levels.
- Outdoor Adventures offer students unique outdoor trips, educational clinics and the WolfWheels bike rental service. Also, students may rent outdoor equipment from the rental center and climb to new heights on the indoor climbing wall. Finally, challenge yourself or build teams through customized low and high-rope element programs at our challenge course located in Schenck Memorial Forest.
- University Recreation employs more than 700 students annually in a variety of positions. Students enhance their development through practical application and learn transferrable skills that will prepare them for their future career.
The Carmichael complex is a 350,000 sq. ft. facility designed to help you achieve your recreation, fitness and wellness goals. Features include:
- Six Strength & Conditioning Centers (30,000 sq. ft.)
- Six Fitness/Activity Rooms
- 11 Indoor Basketball/ Multipurpose Courts
- 25-yard Pool and Dive Well
- 50-meter Pool
- Indoor Climbing Wall
- Indoor Track
- 14 Racquetball Courts
- One Squash Court
- Personal Training Suite
- Men’s and Women’s Locker Rooms
- Single Occupant Locker Rooms
- Steam Room/Sauna
- Day Use Lockers
- Social Lounges
University Recreation manages numerous outdoor facilities that promote healthy, active living.
- Miller Outdoor Recreation Field
- Method Road Recreation Complex
- 12 Outdoor Tennis Courts
- Four Outdoor Basketball Courts
- Fit Ground Outdoor Functional Training Area
- Centennial Campus Recreation Fields
- Centennial Campus Disc Golf Course
NC State University Recreation has rapidly evolved since its inception in 1923, when the Department of Physical Education and Athletics was established. As the fitness and recreational needs of the Wolfpack community grew, so did the department. In 2002, the department of Campus Recreation was established and operated alongside Physical Education and Carmichael Complex. By 2010, Campus Recreation and Carmichael Complex merged and created University Recreation to better serve the NC State community.
University Recreation is proud to be a leader of wellness at NC State and has built a multifaceted approach to inspire and engage the entire Wolfpack community in healthy, activity living.
- 33 Professional Staff Members.
- More than 700 students are employed annually.
Last Updated: Oct. 10, 2017