Diversity and Inclusion adVenture Experience (DIVE)
The Diversity and Inclusion adVenture Experience (DIVE) is a 9-day trip to the Florida Everglades, a collection of islands in south Florida, where we will kayak or canoe (based on the comfort/skills of the group) and camp on beaches with views of the Gulf of Mexico, mangrove forests, and dolphins. The trip seeks to gather socially conscious people and those who wouldn’t normally take these kinds of trips to give them a no-cost opportunity to broaden their horizons. The group will accomplish the following goals:
- Discuss issues of social justice, both on NC State’s campus and in a broader context.
- Learn how to practice lifelong wellness available through outdoor recreation and other opportunities within University Recreation.
- Learn about a “grand challenge of society” (part of NC State’s strategic plan). This year’s focus will be on access to clean water and how water is used.
- Bring back experiences and knowledge from the trip to campus and contribute to a group-determined service project before the end of the spring semester.
DIVE 2017 Trip Dates will be announced in the Fall 2016 Semester
Any and all NC State students are welcome to apply, as long as they can bring a positive attitude and an open mind. There is a large focus on social justice while on the trip, so participants should be willing to discuss and debate social issues currently affecting our society. Some of these conversations may be challenging or contentious (in a respectful way); this is part of the learning environment.
If your application is accepted, the trip will be absolutely free. Everything will be provided so you may have an enjoyable excursion, including:
- Kayaking and Canoeing Equipment
- Camping and Sleeping Equipment (e.g., sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, etc.)
- Food (dietary restrictions will be accommodated)
- Training and Instruction from our Professional and Student Staff Leaders
- You will need to bring personal clothing and toiletry items (which will be listed at the pre-trip meeting if your application is accepted)
No pre-existing skills are needed for this trip. We will have instruction sessions in the pool to teach paddling skills and basic water comfort as needed by the group.
No outdoor or kayaking/canoeing experience is necessary for this trip.All you need to bring is a positive attitude and an open mind. This trip will be challenging, but everything you will need for the trip will be provided and our trained staff will be ready to support you as you explore a new environment and learn new skills with your trip group. All participants of any skill level are welcomed.