Intramural Sports FAQs

This is not meant to be an exhaustive resource of information on Intramural Sports guidelines; team captains and other participants are encouraged to review the Participant’s Guide for complete details on Intramural Sports guidelines.

Intramural Sports FAQ
Intramural Sports are composed of team sports, individual/dual sports, and special events that are designed to provide organized recreational participation. Intramural Sports programs are intracollegiate, i.e., all participants are affiliated with NC State (in contrast with the Club Sports program, in which some clubs are competitive intercollegiately).
Currently, the Intramural Sports program offers Men’s, Women’s, Co-Rec, and Open divisions. Co-Rec divisions require specific numbers of each gender on a team. Open divisions have no gender restrictions. Specific league offerings vary by sport and event. The types of leagues offered are:
  • Men's Competitive
  • Men's Recreational
  • Co-Rec Competitive
  • Co-Rec Recreational
  • Women's
  • Fraternity
  • Sorority
  • Graduate/Faculty/Staff (Open)
  • Open
For many sports, both Competitive and Recreational leagues are offered in the Men’s and Co-Rec divisions.
Intramural Sports offers both Competitive and Recreational leagues for many sports. Competitive leagues offer a regular season followed by a single-elimination tournament for qualifying teams. Recreational leagues offer a longer regular season with no postseason tournament. All leagues are considered Competitive unless they are specified as a Recreational league (i.e. Fraternity and Women’s leagues are always Competitive leagues).
Participants may participate on one single-gender team and one Co-Rec team in the same sport. In individual/dual sports, participants may play in singles and doubles for both single-gender and co-rec leagues in the same activity. For example, a male student may participate on both a Men’s Competitive flag football team and a Co-Rec Recreational flag football team, but a female participant could not participate on a Women’s team and a Sorority team.

Players may only switch team rosters if they have not signed in for a game for the team they wish to leave. If a player wishes to switch teams and has not signed in for a game, they may contact:

Sports Programs
To register a team, the team captain creates their team on using the following steps:
  • Log in to your account
  • Click the Create/Join Team button at the top right of your user homepage OR click on the NC State University link to go to your school’s homepage on
  • The current sports will be displayed; click on the league/division you wish to play
  • Click the orange create team button and follow the instructions.
  • The captain must pass the online captain’s quiz prior to completing the team creation. The quiz will cover responsibilities of the captain, as well as rules for the sport.
  • Once you create your team, invite members to join by clicking the invite member’s link on the team page. Any invited member must accept the initiation to be joined on your team.
  • Team must have a minimum number of participants in order to move team from the Waitlist into a division
The Intramural Sports program does not place individuals directly on teams. Free Agent meetings are held during the registration periods to help participants find teams. Participants can also sign up as a Free Agent on IMLeagues. Remember that teams can add players to their roster through the regular season and postseason; many players have been picked up by teams simply by going out to the fields or courts and asking around.
Registration is completed online utilizing IMLeagues. Individuals sign themselves or their doubles team up in the same process as a team sport.
All schedules are posted online. These schedules can be accessed using IMLeagues and should be checked regularly.
Most outdoor team sports are played on Miller Fields, behind Carmichael Gymnasium. Most indoor team sports are played on basketball courts 3-8, located in Carmichael Gym. IMLeagues will specify the location and court/field number of each game.
Sports Programs staff makes decisions concerning the postponement or cancellation of games due to inclement weather by 3 p.m. Sunday – Friday.  Participants should call 919.515.7529 or visit the University Recreation website for this information.  If Intramural Sports games are cancelled, the team captain will receive notification through email. Teams should not assume that games are canceled simply because of rain, nor should they assume the fields are open simply because it looks sunny at their location.  Due to limited facility space, it is not guaranteed that games will be made up due to inclement weather or field conditions.
First, one representative of your team should head to the Equipment Room (located on the first floor of Carmichael Gym) to check out the necessary equipment. Once you have your equipment, you should report to your game site at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled game time. All players must present their Wolfpack One card or government-issued photo ID (only permitted if they are listed on roster) in order to play. If you’re not sure which field/court you play on, seek out the Sports Programs Supervisor on duty at each game site to find out.
Players may be added to teams at any time during the season. There are several ways to add a player to your team:
  • Online: As the team captain, you can access IMLeagues to input your roster prior to the beginning of the season to make changes to your roster.
  • In person at the game site: Each team can make unlimited roster additions at the game site. Players must be present to be added to the roster at the site.
Yes. You must have a current summer membership to Carmichael Complex by purchasing one at the Member Services Suite or be currently enrolled in summer sessions 1 and 2. If not currently enrolled in the summer, the student must have been enrolled in the previous Spring semester and currently registered for the upcoming Fall semester to purchase a membership.
Due to facility space and time limitations, playoff games through the Round of 16 will not be rescheduled. For quarterfinal, semifinal, and championship games, team captains will have the opportunity to fill out a Playoff Reschedule Request Form. These forms must be submitted to the appropriate Sports Programs staff member at least 48 hours prior to their scheduled game. Forms for Sunday games must be submitted by Thursday at 5 P.M. Sports Programs staff will do their best to honor the requests, but it is not guaranteed that the conflicts can be avoided.
To be eligible to participate in Intramural Sports, participants must fall into once of the following categories of students of faculty/staff:
  • Students: anyone who is currently enrolled at NC State, holds a valid NC State Wolfpack One Card and pays the Recreational Sports Fee through the University Cashier.
  • Students enrolled in non-credit courses and students taking correspondence courses are not regularly enrolled and are therefore ineligible for Intramural Sports participation. Anyone may contact the University Cashier’s Office, 919.515.2986, for questions regarding their university status.
  • Faculty and Staff: Faculty and Staff may include those who are employed as full-time permanent, part-time permanent or hold professional rank. Faculty and Staff may also include emeritus faculty, temporary professional staff, visiting faculty and staff, and Centennial Campus affiliates. A valid Wolfpack One Card and Carmichael Gym Membership are required to participate in Intramural Sports programming.
  • Household Member: Current NC State students, Faculty/Staff, Centennial Campus Affiliates and Visitors/Temporary Employee members are eligible to sponsor up to three household members. These household members are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports programming provided they have a valid NC State University Recreation issued Carmichael Complex ID card and Carmichael Gym Membership.