Step to It Walking Challenge
We’re so glad you’ve made the commitment to participate in the 2018 STEP TO IT Walking Challenge. Did you know that walking has the lowest dropout rate compared to other forms of physical activity? Walking is one of the simplest, positive behavior changes you can make to impact your health. We encourage you to get moving, motivate your teammates, and continue on this journey through this 6-week program and beyond.
In as little as 30 minutes per day, walking and moderate physical activity can provide:
- Reduced risk of coronary heart disease, America’s leading cause of death
- Improved blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improved blood lipid profiles
- Weight maintenance and lowered risk of obesity
- Increased mental and emotional well-being
- Reduced risk for osteoporosis
- Reduced risk for certain cancers
- Reduced risk for type 2 diabetes
- Deadline to register a team for the challenge is Friday, October 5 at 5:00 p.m.
- Teams may consist of two -10 participants. Select a captain for your team.
- STEP TO IT Walking Challenge begins Monday, October 8 and continues through Sunday, November 18.
- Record step totals daily, Monday-Sunday. Add up daily totals to obtain your weekly total.
- Individuals will submit total weekly step count no later than the following Monday (see timeline below).
- Individual step counts submitted by the weekly deadline will be counted toward team average.
- Step counts submitted after the weekly deadline will not be recorded. Hold your team members accountable for submitting step counts on time.
- Weekly raffles for prizes for participants taking at least 70,000 steps per week.
- End of program prize will be awarded to:
- Team winner (highest average team step total)
- Individual winner (highest overall step total)
- If you are participating in physical activity that is not registered by your pedometer or activity tracker (e.g., swimming, cycling, elliptical trainer) please follow the conversion guidelines below.
|Week||Submit Weekly Step Total By|
|October 8 – October 14||October 15|
|October 15 – October 21||October 22|
|October 22 – October 28||October 29|
|October 29 – November 4||November 5|
|November 5 – November 11||November 12|
|November 12 – November 18||November 19|
Use this chart to convert activities that are not easily measured by a pedometer. Multiply the number of minutes you participated in the activity by the number indicated below. For example: If you cycle for 10 minutes, record that you have taken 1,500 steps (10 minutes x 150 steps per minute). Be sure you are not wearing your pedometer if you engage in any of these activities.
If your activity is not listed below, find the one(s) most similar to it on the list and estimate the activity’s step value.
PLEASE NOTE: Conversions are estimates, your actual steps may vary. All values represent steps per minute.
|Tae Kwon Do||290|
|Swimming, moderate/vigorous effort||174|
|Swimming, treading water||49|
|Ice skating, leisurely||84|
Getting More Out of Your Walk
- Walk briskly and with a purpose.
- Set goals for yourself to achieve each day or each week.
- Incorporate hills or incline into your walk to burn extra calories and work different muscles.
- Walk to the beat. Research shows that music improves mood and motivation to exercise. Aim for music that is at least 120 beats per minute. To calculate beats per minute, simply count the beats during 15 seconds of a song and multiply that number by four. Just be sure to keep volume low if walking outside so you can hear traffic.
- If you’re walking outside, change up your route periodically to avoid boredom. Local parks and greenway trails are also great options.
- See more tips in the “Helpful Resources” section below.
Wolfpack Wellness Power Lunch Series
The Wolfpack Wellness Power Lunch Series is designed to promote health and well-being. Employees will have the opportunity to learn about various wellness topics, network and enjoy a healthy lunch. The sessions will be held monthly on the second Wednesday from 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Seats are limited, register now to reserve your spot at the next session.
2018-19 Power Lunch Sessions
|Wednesday, October 10||Living Longer, Living Stronger: A Breast Cancer Awareness Celebration||Talley Student Union, Room 3285||RSVP Now|
|Wednesday, November 14||Diabetes and You||Witherspoon, Room 201||Thursday, October 11|
|Wednesday, December 12||Creating a Balanced Life||Student Health Center, Room 2301||Thursday, November 15|
|Wednesday, January 9||One Change: Setting Goals for a Better You||Talley Student Union Room 3285||Thursday, December 13|
|Wednesday, February 13||Take Your Health to Heart||Witherspoon, Room 201||Thursday, January 10|
|Wednesday, March 13||Healthy Eating on the Go||Hunt Library||Thursday, February 14|
|Wednesday, April 10||Financial Literacy Month: Invest in Yourself||Student Health, Room 2301||Thursday, March 14|
|Wednesday, May 8||Developing Resilience: Bounce Back From the Setbacks||Talley Student Union, Room 4280||Thursday, April 11|